In the book “The Strangest Secret” by Earl Nightingale, it says this…
“If you take 100 individuals who start at the age of 25, do you have any idea what will happen to those men and women by the time they are 65? These 100 people who all start even at the age of 25 believe they are going to be successful. If you asked anyone of these people if they wanted to be a success they would tell you they did… and you’d notice that they were eager toward life that there was a certain sparkle in their eye and life seemed like a pretty interesting adventure to them. But by the time they’re 65 ONE will be rich, FOUR will be financially independent, FIVE will still be working and 54 will be broke. So, of 100 only five make the grade! Why do so many fail? Because they have no direction, they have no goals; they have no vision or direction for their life. People with goals succeed because they know what they wand and they know where they are going.”
So what are the steps you need to take to set your goals?
- Be decisive… know what it is you want to accomplish.
- Focus… focus on your goals and make them a priority.
- Write your goals… a goal is just a wish until you put it on paper.
- Plan your work… know what you want and how you are going to get it.
- Involve others… share your goals with others so they help you be accountable.
- Fail forward… everyone will fail or have setbacks; learn from failure.
- Take action… you can set your goal but without work you can’t accomplish it.
- Measure your performance… inspect what you do to see if you are improving.
- Reward yourself… give yourself a pat on the back for small accomplishments.
- Personal integrity… keep your promises to yourself, you are worth it!
In the end your biggest concern is not your skill, ability or intelligence when it comes to achieving your goals… it’s your COMMITMENT!